Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Back to the Pool

For the first time in 4 weeks, swimmming was not pre-empted by weather or holidays. And Nic wasn't having any of the pool, tonight.

He started complaining about it as soon as he got off the bus, through the afternoon and dinner, and all the way up to the pool.

I vowed to toss him in if he didn't go in on his own.

No need. He not only went in, he's swimming 15 ft independently, spurred on by his determined little brother who was already doing at least that for a month. G is still more treading forward than swimming, but he can stay afloat with a lot of work.

But Nic? He will NOT be outdone by his little brother. They stayed in the pool 40 minutes past their lessons, each working on their own repertoire. G worked on his floating, while Nic put on goggles and put his face in the water. This is the kid who as recently as September would not get his head wet.

And then he started swimming across the play area. I called in that he'd be a deep water swimmer soon.

"When I'm older," he grinned.

"When you're 9," I told him. Which he will be in a little over 3 weeks.

He tried to shrug off his accomplishments tonight, as if he did this all the time, and it was no big deal. But he was beaming. He knows. He gets it.

And G for his part is happy to push his big brother forward. It's official, he will be joining Nic at their home school in the fall, the only time in their school histories that they will be at the same school at the same time. I signed the paperwork that will move the process forward, and hopefully, the evaluations will start sooner rather than later.

Lots of stuff for me to do in the meantime.

As for the other stuff, well, I'll mend the fences I can and not fret about what I can't fix. The long and the short of it is that I stumbled upon a nest of nutjobs, and I'll just have to step with a little more care in the future.

I'm annoyed. There's room in this for a pleasant surprise, but I'm not betting the ranch on it.

No comments: