Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Never Normal

Every so often I get hit with a big dose of reality regarding how functional my older boy is. Yesterday was one of those days.

We set out to go to the community pool--and got rained out, but never mind that. Nic wanted to ride his bike, and as long as he had his helmet on, that wasn't a problem. On the way, we encountered B's brother, who was just coming back from summer playground at the middle school. We invited him to come to the pool with us, and he countered with an invite to his pool.

I said quickly we weren't looking for an invite, just that he was welcome to join us at the pool.

B was out front playing soccer with two friends and happy to see Nic. And he invited Nic to play.

Nic immediately twisted what B said. I knew his staying was a no-go, and said so, and told B we'd see him another time. Nic got it, and said goodbye.

What I wouldn't give to be able to let him go and do something as normal as thi--letting him go play on his own at some one else's house. But I know Nic--he can't do this. He'd try to go into B's house and play with his toys. Or put mud in his pool. He just doesn't know how to *play* and he is past the age where I can stay and oversee him at some one else's house.

What I wouldn't give to be able to have this piece of 'normal.' Yet, I know we're not there.

Not even close.

No comments: