Monday, July 6, 2009

Anxiety Looms Large

I get tired of autopsying (is that even a word?) Nic's social situation, but it is the one thing that literally keeps me up nights.

I can't understand why when we get together with friends, he's FINE. He really is just like any other kid. But when we get to the neighborhood, to school situations, he really looks challenged.

I had a lightbulb moment last night. I think it has to with the intersection of Nic's anxiety and what people expect of him. Nic is really good at sizing up situations and producing exactly what is expected of him. I think what we're running into is the soft bigotry of low expectations--aforementioned people expect less of Nic and get exactly that.

Ugh.

*head banging*

So I guess my next trick will be to convince his school, the neighborhood, and any other interested parties that he is FINE, or at least that they need to think of him less as autistic and more as Nic.

"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat...."

No comments: