Friday, July 3, 2009

Maybe high school didn't suck after all

So I was tooling around Facebook the other day when my inbox flag popped up. It was a note from one of my friends from high school, inviting me and my boys over to swim with her and her girls.

About a fifth of my friends on Facebook are from high school; the balance is work acquaintances, adult friends, fellow autism moms and dads and a couple college friends and grade school classmates thrown in for good measure. I am very open about my kids' differences, so the invite coming in spite of all that was a pleasant surprise.

This friend and I chatted on the phone and set a time for me to come over with the boys. I made some chocolate chip banana bread with Nic's help, picked up G and headed over.

AND...we had a marvelous time. Her girls (all four of them) played well with my two, and she said a few times "They are really good kids!" I know that, but it's nice to hear some one else say it.

So, when we left, we left the door open to future meetups. It was great seeing N again--she hasn't changed a bit, and we are both very much on the same page in many ways.

What a treat for me. What a treat for the boys.

It was a good day.

No comments: