Friday, June 26, 2009

Magical thinking

This phrase has come up a few times in my travels the last week. My good friend wiki pedia tells me it's this:

Magical thinking in anthropology, psychology, and cognitive science is nonscientific causal reasoning that often includes such ideas as the ability of the mind to affect the physical world (see the philosophical problem of mental causation), and correlation mistaken for causation. Associative thinking may be brought into play, as well as the power of magical symbols, metaphor and metonym, and synchronicity. Since, in both theory and practice, magic does not conform to Western and modern canons of causality it is therefore appropriate to ask if it is rational to practice or believe in magic. For most theorists these questions turn on the matter of the practitioner’s thought processes, intentions, and the efficacy of their practice.

It's so funny, but for the dreamer I am, this SO does not apply to me. My here-and-now involves getting my work done and getting the boys to move forward. My getting the boys to move forward does not involve magical thinking so much as rigorous planning and follow-through on my part.

Sure, I dream big dreams for my kids, but I am also practical. Odds do not favor a golden ticket for either of them; blood, sweat, and tears (plenty of the last, I'm sure) will get them where they are going.

It's funny; this is not the extraordinary life I had in mind for myself when I was 21. But, in some ways, it's even better than I dreamed.

And I have shed the blood, sweat, and tears to make it possible.

No comments: