Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Soft Bigotry of Low Expectations

We just got back from basketball. You know this isn't going to be good.

On the positive: Nic played half the game--and scored two foul shots.

The negative: The ref awarded him 3 fouls shots--twice.

To those of you who don't play basketball, there is no such thing as awarding a player THREE shots. And you don't let them shoot those baskets right on top of the basket--you take the shots at the foul line.

If Nic hadn't already scored two baskets in regular team play, perhaps I would be a little more gracious. As it is, this little display figuratively patted Nic on the head and sent him on his merry way.

I even said to the ref after: "You didn't have to do that--he's actually scored playing."

He waved me off. "He scored, people cheered, that's all that counts. Keep bringing him."

Patted ME on the head, too, didn't he?

*sigh*

One upside is that I think Mr. C--Nic's coach--was unhappy about this, too. I didn't talk to him, though. I just couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I need to charge my phone, then off we go to do errands, go to Costco, take Nic for his reward trip to KoP.

I need so to summon the energy. This absolutely knocked the wind out of me.

No comments: