Thursday, July 8, 2010

Superpowers and Autism

I had about a dozen or so people message me over the last 24 hours about the duck boat accident and the prescience of Nic's reaction to being on it. I'm trying not to read too much into the fact that it happened within an hour of being exactly six weeks since we were on it.

And I'm trying not to read too much into the fact that this is not the first time something like this has happened.

As much as I worry about my kids being able to survive in the world, it never ceases to amaze me how their almost otherworldy perception seems to catch them both when their own senses about other people and things fail them.

So the question, then: how do I teach them to hone this? Or do I let them learn on their own? Do I try to explain this to them, or do I let them come to me with questions, if any?

My own finely tuned sensibilities have only come as a result of my own experience and little to no external guidance.

I don't know. I don't know. All I know is that I had a couple of dozen people let me know that Nic was in their thoughts yesterday when they heard about the Ducks accident.

"And life is not without risk," dad reminded me late last night.

I know. It's a fine line between managing risk and living free.

No comments: