Saturday, August 8, 2009

Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean You Should

So after I picked Nic up from his last day of summer playground (after I found his bike helmet dumped in a wheeled cart full of plastic crates, but anyway), it occurred to me that yeah, okay, it's fan-bloody-tastic that he can hold his own in the world of kids who don't have neurological issues (we won't get into psych--in fact, we'll not go there at all), BUT......

Because he can, does it mean he should?

All the stuff that gives me the greatest angst--the bus, basketball, even the township stuff in general--is all OPTIONAL.

Meaning, he will live and prosper just fine without any of it.

But again, living in the NT world requires that you play ball with the NTs--and learn all their crazy NT ways--even the bs is legit because they say so.

I'm reminded of Hugh Laurie's (love that man) quote: [on the difficulty of performing with an American accent] It's as if you're playing left-handed. Or like everyone else is playing with a tennis racket and you have a salmon.

The same can be applied to having autism and living in this world.

The bus is a done deal. Hopefully it doesn't cause either boy lasting damage.

On another note, G graduated from the IU yesterday, and it was kind of a happy/sad occasion. G had such a great time getting up and participating in the songs, full voice (4 years ago, Nic sat in the same ceremony, hand in chin, waiting to be done so he could have some cake). I choked up a few times because G's been with some of these kids for the last 3 years--his teachers have had him for as long.

And the other reason is that he was safe at this school. I know too well now what he is in for. I was SO naive when Nic transitioned to K 4 years ago.

Perhaps it's just as well I cleared the calendar for the next few weeks. I want the kids to enjoy life.

Because it's going to get very difficult soon enough....

No comments: