Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Ash Wednesday

 I'm grateful some things aren't a fight.

I'm an old school (recovering) Catholic; I don't buy everything the church is selling, but I like Pope Francis and a lot of the rites and rituals are muscle memory. And it's funny how quickly we revert to that when the world is falling apart (whatever THAT is or looks like to a person).

Catholic school was not going to ever be a thing for my kids; too much extra. Where elder had to learn a lot of it by osmosis, G did the whole 9 yards of PREP.  To me, it was a huge accomplishment to get both kids all their sacraments.  It's one of the things that falls by the wayside if you have something extra, but our church and parish community made a lot of things possible for us.

That didn't last forever. 

Fortunately, I didn't need it to. 

So when I reminded both kids that we needed to be up early to go to mass (the only mass to accommodate ALL of our schedules was at 6:30 am) and that we are doing fish today and every Friday until late April, I didn't hear a peep of complaint. 

(My kids are very vocal on all points of dissent. I am just saying.)

The fact that they are both very matter of fact about Lent and all the obligations and rituals around it make me think I did something right. Right now, everything is hard.  

But this isn't.

Blessings.

No comments: