Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Misspent Youth and Other Thoughts

Just batting clean up on a few things, then onto baking and festivities.

I've been chatting with a good friend about a few things lately that have turned me backward via Ernest Hemingway and misspent youth. Thus 'Ed' was conjured.

'Ed' was an old boss of mine, one of those people you expect much to come of in life and are somewhat surprised to learn in the fullness of time that he is just like everyone else. I would go drinking with him and another co-worker after work--at the time, I wasn't legal, but where we went, that didn't seem to be a problem.

Anyway, on two memorable (if I could remember them that is) occasions, I managed to wend my way home afterward. The first time I went via the Market Frankford line and crashed on a friend's couch. Really, I'm not sure how I made it from 2nd street to 34th Street, nor am I quite sure how I made it to the safe haven right off of Drexel's campus. Angels? Have YOU a better explanation?

Looking back at my distant self, more than 21 years ago, I would have to backhand her a couple of times just on principle:

1) a)When you stand 5 feet 7 and change and weigh 120 pounds soaking wet, there is NO WAY IN HELL you will be able to keep up with, let alone out-drink, some one who is b) 6 foot 3 plus and over 200 pounds.

2)Drinking won't turn you into Ernest Hemingway--or anyone else. It's just you--only drunk.

3)Going ANYWHERE in such a state at night, alone (and see 1a) is a VERY BAD IDEA.

A few good things came of that night, but my presence necessitated that. And it wasn't my good sense that kept me here at that time.

In many ways, my misspent youth was laughably sheltered. I never did drugs, because I have a hard enough time handling life without chemical distraction; I like my wine and beer with an occasional scotch and port, but too much is too much. I moved out at 20 and have supported myself since, so most of my concerns have been in keeping food in my fridge, clothes on my back, and a roof over my head. That I do these things, have been doing them for two decades, without expecting some one else to do it for me, that's a source of accomplishment for me. Everything else is gravy.

I'm listening to the boys in the other room while I finish up a few things. Then we'll bake and get things ready for Santa. Giving thanks today for all my wonderful friends, colleagues, family and partners in crime who make my life a rich and wonderful place to be. Even DH remarked that I'm amazingly happy these days. (He was happy until I told him his gift was the stove, but he recovered).

Life is good. God is good.

To work with me.

No comments: