Tuesday, December 16, 2008

9 days left and I haven't started shopping?

Nope. It's a lean year, and my list is small. I'll be doing a lot of baking.

Had a nice set of parties last weekend, and the kids had a great time. This weekend will be quieter, but enough out and about to keep everyone happy.

Will be doing a lot of teaching the kids how to give. We've been fortunate, so we will be helping out those less so, because we can. My kids will be the ones doing the giving. I want them to understand that you get back so much more than you give.

I live that. I want them to learn it.

I also want them to learn what mercy is. There are so many adults who don't get mercy, so with a little help from Wikipedia, let me explain:

Mercy is a word used to describe compassion shown by one person to another, or a request from one person to another to be shown such leniency or unwarranted compassion for a crime or wrongdoing. One of the basic virtues of chivalry, Christian ethics, Judaism, and Islam, it is also related to concepts of justice and morality in behaviour between people. In India, compassion is known as karuna.

Leniency. Compassion. Traits sorely lacking in some people. A big conundrum with me is people who think the world owes them something. People who are bitter because they refuse to take responsibility for their own lives (self-determination, anyone?) or their own actions. It's so easy to point the finger at other people and blame others for what the blamer has failed to accomplish in his or her own life. When you are looking for blame? Find a mirror.

You make your own luck. You make your own decisions. Aspergers has cost me friends, jobs, relationships, but you know what, I don't blame Aspergers. I learn from my mistakes. AND I MOVE ON.

I encourage others to do the same. Own your lives. Own your mistakes. Take responsibility for your actions. Everything has a cause and effect. It takes so little to bring joy to others. Why not expend that energy for good in this season?

Make your life extraordinary. Make your corner of the world a better place.

Think the world owes you? That other people owe you?

Think again.

No comments: