Thursday, December 18, 2008

All I want for Christmas

Remembering my dear departed dad today. He would have been 70 this year.

He's been with me much this past week, but this morning he made me smile.

My mom has said through the years that one of my dad's favorite comments at Christmas (They shared 17 before he died) was that if it weren't for Christmas, there would NEVER be any replenishment of socks and underwear.

We have home movies to document this. Mom opening a box and soundlessly (there's no sound on those old super 8 movies) rhapsodizing over a pair of granny panties she pulled out of a Christmas card box. I think of that image, her comments over the years, and I smile.

Because my socks are at least 6 years old and worn through. Don't even wish to discuss the state of my unmentionables.

Did I say I wanted nothing? Scratch that. Santa, please bring me some socks and underwear?

and a quick chuckle

href="http://comics.com/pearls_before_swine/2008-12-18/" title="Pearls Before Swine">Pearls Before Swine

No comments: