Monday, May 11, 2009

Summing up Stuff on my Mind on a Monday

Nic missed the last track meet on Friday because I found out about it this am. Can't fret about it because it's done.

Passed an amazing weekend with my outstanding friends and family and as ever I am grateful for the love, support and understanding of those who get our kids, or at least make an honest attempt. And my kids tend to behave fine as long as they feel like they can be themselves. How sad in a way that the only people who really get to know them are those who care to? It's a great winnowing process and gets rid of the idiots and/or bullies up front.

Nic has an uncanny knack now for figuring out who is going to be trouble and who is going to be a friend. It's actually kind of cool to see it. But he had to develop this on his own, and what a fine job he's doing, too.

(Now that I think about it, he's been reading a lot of bully-centered books, lately. Interesting to watch him internalize then act on what he learns. Pretty cool)

G is something else. He kept me entertained this am while I did battle with some of my own internal demons. I think he may have a future in theatre. Way too funny.

So yesterday they were all on board for Mother's Day. The kids helped me with chores, dad cooked brunch, then we all headed out for a day of stomping through the underbrush. We were fortunate enough to find a state park that actually had an elevator (I vaguely recollected this place from my misspent youth, but I didn't remember the elevator--that was a serendipitous stroke of luck), and were able to explore the surrounding woods and wildflower preserve in relative peace and tranquility.

Also got a fair amount of birding in...I missed that, and it's good that the boys are of an age where they listen and ask questions.

The bluebird sightings alone made my month!

We talked about a whole bunch of stuff that I'll blog on later. It was a pretty eye-opening experience, this whole weekend. Not in a bad way.

Using the quiet now to organize what I need to and ramp up for the next round of events.

Just thinking that I'm 10 years into this parenting gig. 10 years! That went fast. And I have to say it's been a blast.

No comments: