Monday, May 23, 2022

Showing Up Redux

 Elder spent the better part of yesterday at the ER.  Ear is healing, but we need an ENT.

I was thinking on something that happened recently, where the boys wanted to show up for an event.  I have lamented for a long time that they never achieved that One Good Friend in their time in school. Perhaps I was mistaken.

I'm thinking of a moment during this event wherein elder was speaking to someone.  A girl of his acquaintance had stopped by to chat with hubby and I. We exchanged pleasantries, quick updates, and she went off.  But, before she left, she reached around elder and pressed a hand to his chest and leaned her head on his shoulder, a genuine gesture of affection.

In the bustle, I caught that and my jaw dropped. Because in my cynicism, I saw her as someone who viewed my boys as an occasional project or good deed. But in that simple, single act, I saw something else.

After all, my guys showed up. Because that's what friends do.

And that's what I saw.

It's good to be wrong. 

No comments: