Sunday, May 8, 2022

Prom Thoughts

So my younger guy went to the prom last night.

For some reason, I didn't see him doing that. I think left to his own devices, he would have skipped it.  But his brother has been toting that banner for the last three years:  he went and had a great time. Therefore, there is no way his brother could *not* go.

Elder had the whole thing sketched out for younger:  younger would go with the younger sister of the girl who was his date, and that would be that.  He was obsessed with the whole thought.  And elder is tenacious of some of these thoughts. (he's actually tenacious of lots of thoughts, but I will get there in a sec), to such a degree that I often do the equivalent of patting him on the head and sending him along to whatever he was supposed to be doing. 

But we got to March, and younger said "So mom, they are selling tickets to prom.  Can you write me a check?"

I looked at him a minute. "Just for you?"

"No, also [younger sister of friend]."

"Does she know you are buying her a ticket?"

(she didn't)

I tell him I will help him get tickets (which, btw, he bought with his own money, because big brother did that, and we keep things as equal as possible), IF he does the thing and asks the girl.

First, he posts on her FB page.

NO.  I make him delete the post.  I text my friend and get her daughter's cell number, then forward it to younger.

Who texts her.

Facepalm.  "CALL her." 

He does. The conversation lasts about 30 seconds, but he gets a yes, so that's really the point.  And he's all  about getting to the point.

Dad took him to get fitted for the tux.  On Friday, I take him and his brother to pick it up and send him in to handle the whole transaction. I also send his brother in, who balks: "I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything, just be support for your brother."

And surprise, they both go in and pick up the tux and accoutrements without incident. 

Next day, he cleans up, and we help him dress.  Hubby suggests I find my father's cufflinks for the occasion. Thus, grandpop is along for the evening. 

We drive out to the next county and pick up his date.  They chat in the backseat while hubby and I occasionally offer a thought or two from the front. We drop them off, and they are greeted by some of the administration at the hotel entrance. Dad and I go home and have a quiet dinner and watch a movie together.  I text elder and tell him to take Lyft home, because we have another hour and change round trip to take younger's date home. 

Oddly, no pushback from elder.  He books his ride without incident.

We pick the kids up. They are quiet on the ride back. Younger sends me the pictures he took.  A few selfies, and a couple pictures with a couple of his classmates with him and his date.

For some reason, they make me sad. I think it's the tidal wave of group prom photos on social media getting to me. This isn't my kid's life.  

But he was lucky to find someone who could appreciate the unbearable lightness of G for an evening.

And this is a good thing. 

And it has to be good enough.

For now.

No comments: