Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Ready to Launch?

 We appear to be moving forward.

A few notable things; elder is taking responsibility for his medical concerns. This is kinda huge, since this portion of adulting is daunting to him. He's accustomed to advocating for himself in the classroom and in the workplace; this next-level stuff for him is *real* adulting, thus intimidating. Nevertheless, I sat in the waiting room while he negotiated all his asks and made sure that the most important one (testing for the new job) was completed.

He didn't need me, but he knew I was there if he did. 

Worthy of mention was another scheduling snag that he handled effortlessly with minimal coaching from me ("This is a phone call, not an email."). Also worth noting is that the preferred job is giving him more hours; I think the impending new gig has raised his stock value.

And he starts job shadowing on Friday.

Younger guy is figuring out his what next. I think the conversation with his transition coordinator will involve her connections with the community college (where he is already dual enrolled) and trying his hand at some of the opportunities offered there. 

I just figured something out about elder; he is eligible now to do back-office work in both his part-time jobs, but he doesn't want to. The WHY I just figured out is because he does want to be people-facing. He understands that customer service is tough, so he is particular about where he wants to do it, but he does like people and wants the contact. Which is why I think the new gig will be so good for him, and I think it will help him figure out his next steps. Which might include doing what he's doing for a while, which is actually fine--I want both my kids to land in fulfilling places.  We can't save the world, but we can provide road maps, and maybe in so doing make our little corner of the world better. 

We can hope. 

No comments: