Saturday, April 30, 2022

It's Been a Month

 Or a year, it's all of a piece...

All I have at the moment are fragments of this and shards of that. My younger kid is making phone calls and doing all kinds of self-advocacy on the regular and my older guy, while he's still a lousy roommate, is finally finished with all the onboarding paperwork for the new job and actively job shadowing. Early feedback is favorable. 

Younger guy is wrapping up all the things of his youth, whether he is consciously doing so or not.  Our conversation on the way to bowling this morning dealt mostly with his immediate future (immediate=rest of this calendar year). He's already dual enrolled at the community college; he'll walk; he'll take classes at said CC and Vo-tech, and hopefully by the time we get to September, he'll be driving himself. 

He was agreeable to that.

Today was the last regular day of bowling, and because he wasn't rolling off for a trophy (his team won last year, so he doesn't care), he rolled a better than usual series--no pressure goes a long way.  He smiled coming off the wood regardless of how he rolled; he high-fived and fist-bumped whenever he had a good roll. He was present in a way that is fairly unusual for him. 

On the way to his job afterward, I asked him what way he wanted me to drive (I already had a route in mind, but was amenable to however he wanted to go).  He chose the route I already had in my head "because it's prettier." (Which is why I had the route in mind).  We chatted about prom plans for next week, then he disappeared into his own head, scripting, and surfaced occasionally if I remembered this or that from some movie or other. I dropped him off at his job in a bright mood.

I'm in a pretty bright mood, too. I spent some time on the upper deck after work hours and had a great blue heron fly over me twice.  This is the first week of the new job, and it's a good fit.  We had fun at darts last night, and I had good aqua fit classes with my friend, and met a couple band moms for dinner earlier in the week. The coming month is already booked with all kinds of adventures.  It's a pretty good moment. 

Ima sit and enjoy it. 


No comments: