Friday, April 8, 2022

My Village

 My friends all 'know a guy."

Doesn't matter  what for--everybody "knows a guy" for whatever needs to get done. I'm dedicating this blog to all the guys--and gals--who have been there to hold my hand in front of the whole world or work quietly behind the scenes on my behalf.

It's a pretty long list, but here are a few.  All are heroes in every day people clothing.

--Elder's first day care director at The First Class in Piscataway, NJ

--Miss R, with whom I go back a good 20 years, who taught me everything I need to know about advocacy

--Miss F, G's first teacher and later trusted friend and contact for all things IEP

--Miss M, who loved younger so much she attended his early intervention IEP meetings and helped me get more much needed services for him

--My favorite IT person who was a fellow dad and was able to fix up whatever difficulties we were experiencing

I think I am going to make it my business to keep and ongoing record as people come to me.  The IT guy was random as I was handling a work thing, and it seems like at least 30 minutes out of every day is spent considering a kind soul who was with us all of a moment, or for a season, or for large chunks of our ride. It's easy to be bitter about things (and people) who didn't happen, but it takes concerted effort to walk in gratitude and peace. You see a lot of both in this blog, and I think I want to tilt to the light. As I've said before, I have more days behind me than in front of me, and I need to get this stuff right. 

My last line today for the people who realize my guys can do things--and let them do the thing without comment or fanfare.

Just like anyone else. 


No comments: