Sunday, January 9, 2022

You can do BIG things Part II

 So something happened that deserves its own air time.

Elder earned his driver's learner's permit.

It wasn't a slam dunk; this was his third attempt. The first time, I dragged him there just to see how he would do. He did the online practice test and declared himself ready the same day he earned his associates degree.  I envisioned a double win that day and was as disappointed as he was devastated he didn't pass (I hid it, reassuring him that the associates was good) (Dad meanwhile devised another carrot, because he is a genius).

So all last week elder asked me when could we go so he can test again.  Finally on Friday, I had a window, and we drove out in the afternoon. It was windy, cold, snow on ground, but dammit, he was going to do it. 

We took our number and waited. He confessed he was a nervous wreck, and that he might not pass, but I assured him he did the work, so if he took his time, he'd do fine.  The nice young woman at the counter echoed what I said and assigned elder his computer. I went back to the waiting area, and waited.

I heard him calling me. He was red-faced and waving frantically at me. I thought he failed, but he was smiling and barely containing his glee. I hastened over to him and he hugged me whispering "I passed! I passed! OMG I passed."  He was overwhelmed, tearful, and triumphant. Also, he couldn't believe it.  He didn't think it was possible. And that's what COVD has done--among other things.

He signed off, paid his fee, and now the clock starts on his on-road training. Younger is now making noises about getting his permit. The goal is licenses for both this summer. 

Game on.

No comments: