Wednesday, January 19, 2022

The Awful Rowing Toward Adulthood

 I can say with a fair amount of certainty that this includes me. 

I'm sitting here triaging my to do lists, and all of my activities are nonpreferred ones. I pulled out some of elder's Sudoku books and am trying my hand at them, since somehow working puzzles helps me process stuff I need to process, and the crosswords aren't challenging enough. 

Elder can solve a sudoku as quickly as I can solve a crossword and assures me that "I am doing fine," even though it takes me about four times as long as something it takes him less than 10 minutes to do. 

Can we monetize that?  For real?

He's struggling, too.  I need him to figure out what he wants to do and do it; right now, he is working two part time jobs that are, at best, really part time.  Part of the to-dos is to get him to sit down and start exploring his options. His main goal is "to stay out of trouble."  That's a virtual guarantee if you do nothing. I literally don't know what to do. 

Younger, meanwhile, is doing his thing, has some really long days this month because of bowling and indoor back to back.  He's in a cheerful mood despite not getting his very specific pizza on Monday (put off for another time) and just going forth and conquering in his inimitable quiet way. The dual enrollment thing is a huge win, but as per usual, he is not impressed. 

And I'm still just clearing out. Literally and figuratively. 'nuff said. 

We will get there.

No comments: