Friday, January 7, 2022

It's a Snow Day

 Which means it's like Christmas morning, and even elder, who sleeps in til noon, was up at the crack of smack. 

Well, no, dawn had well past broken, it was coming on 8 am, and I slept in way late for me.  And I knew the level of groggy I was feeling was going to guarantee that both kids would be up immediately, both demanding something.

I wasn't wrong. Elder was up first, asking when I would take him to the DMV to try the permit test again....

...followed by younger, demanding pancakes.

And I hadn't even put the coffee on yet.

So I did what any other sane person would do: told younger to get his gear together to make pancakes (he knows how; he doesn't need me, but he wants me in the kitchen while he's doing the thing); elder, I ordered him off his bullshit to go get dressed and shovel the walk.

"Will you pay me?" he asked

"If I don't have to redo it, I'll think about it," I answered. "And do ours before you ask Miss Gwen to do hers. And don't embarrass either of us by doing a bad job, if you do."

He grumbled, but off he went. Younger meanwhile had pancake production under way and was doing just fine. I took a moment while the coffee was brewing to do my dry eye regimen that's been my life twice a day since March. (and it's worth pointing out that I always get distracted from doing it because of this or that momhood stuff--I'm making a point of doing all the self-care and self-maintenance I need to do, and employing them both means I get to do that)

I had to leave younger to it to tend to work stuff, and he was fine, it was fine.  Elder was out working a good hour and did a decent job on our walk and a better job on Miss Gwen's, which is fine, I would rather he do the better job for someone else, but would like even more if he put the same kind of care in everything he does.  But we're working on that.

I dunno. Just felt a weird sense of accomplishment I haven't felt in a bit. 


EDITED TO ADD:  Elder passed his driver permit test today.  Quite an accomplishment.

No comments: