Monday, January 17, 2022

Hard Stuff and Heavy Lifts

 Some things don't take a lot of time, but they do take up a lot of emotional space.

I had a couple non-preferred tasks that needed doing for weeks, and I finally sat down to do them. All told, I dispatched all tasks in less than 30 minutes, but it took me half a month to be able to do them. 

Whyizzit?

I think space has a lot to do with it. The space I am using as my office isn't conducive to doing some of the harder, non-preferred stuff. It really needs to get cleared out, but it's mostly hubby's stuff, so I don't feel like I have the agency to do what I'd like with it (read:  donate it or otherwise make it go away).

But I dragged out the lapboard and brought the other puter down and set myself up alongside younger on the couch.  He made pancakes this am (day off) and wants me to take him on a quest to revisit some childhood memories and take him out for very specific pizza.  Weather will probably mean we're sitting tight and we'll probably watch some of Elder's latest obsession together. 

One of the hard things was returning a call to someone I have been avoiding a few weeks, because I knew it wasn't going to go well.  She alternately praised, scolded, lambasted, lamented and cycled through these things about a dozen or so times.  I'm stuck. She doesn't agree with me, and I don't agree with her. But, I can't disagree; I hmm noncomitally, but it's pretty clear we are not in agreement. Hence the scolding and lambasting. 

But it's a 15 minute or so call, and I live through it, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

It took me 3 weeks to make it, though. I dread phone calls and don't like unpleasant ones all that much.

But there were other things to do;  Dad and Elder are taking down the lights and younger is now officially in enrolled in community college, earning credits for some of his senior year course work.

This was something I literally did not see coming. 

Woot.  I think we may have another reason to celebrate.....


No comments: