Saturday, December 11, 2021

A Funny Thing Happened......

 So yesterday I was wildly social (for me).

I hosted a happy hour for my work group that I thought *might* attract a person or two for a half hour. Imagine my surprise when 6 people showed up, one stayed the original half hour (having other things to do), three more stayed an hour, and two more hung with me for over two hours. (Kinda awesome, and I think I made a friend, so yay)

Another work person has been asking me to crash her friend's weekly gathering for drinks and darts in his downstairs lair. Last night was the night; less than a mile from my house as the crow flies, I drove slowly to find his hidden house in the hills above my neighborhood. C met me in the driveway to direct me to the entrance at the back of the house. 

I swear, literal speakeasy and one of the coolest things ever with the coolest people ever. I brought a mix pack of my favorite brews from my favorite place and put money in the kitty for pizza and anything else I might consume (I was told I got the idea and am allowed to join them on the regular) (also yay).  I sat at the bar sharing adventures and company with C while others came and went, joined the conversation, played darts in the background, and generally was just old school hanging out and awesome at that.

So C was telling me about her one daughter who works in the IU who works in particular with kids with autism. We somehow got into talking about the holiday parade younger was in last week, and she mentioned one young man who she "could swear, was on the spectrum, not looking happy, and I called out to him and waved, and his face just lit up."

I mentioned G was in the parade and pulled up the picture I posted here the other day.  Her eyes popped. "Oh my God!  That's him!  That's the kid I waved at!"  Then she described how he looked, maybe scared and uncomfortable?  I laughed and pulled up a picture of G staring daggers at me from the parade at the end of the route.  "Did he look like this?"

"Yes!"

I laughed. "That's his pissed off face."

She's still a fan. 

But it is a small world, isn't it?

No comments: