Monday, May 17, 2021

The Kids Are All Right

 It's been a pretty good weekend.

Elder collected his diploma; now we need to focus on his associates, which we hope he will collect in December. And maybe look for a four-year transfer in the spring?  I don't know. All I know is that I had one health testing form from the school district in my messaging instead of two.  He's out. He's done. 

He's really, really done. 

I spent Friday afternoon with one of my oldest friends, lunch, a long walk, and a great conversation.  It was a gorgeous day, and a good day to be out in the convertible. Did my head and heart a world of good.  Took a leisurely drive up and back on the backroads with the top down and my Mrs. Howell sunhat and shades. Lunch took forever, but that was fine; neither of us had other places to be.  And the sound of the river and scent of wisteria as we strolled and talked along the canal will be with me a long time. 

And made a heckin good dinner for me and hubby when I came home--Maryland crab cakes and vegetable spring rolls. Spring rolls are my new favorite jam. And they are tasty as heck.

Saturday I helped run a clinic--I think we only had one no show, but it was stressful and a little crazy. One of the worst things about having a sitch where you depend every one to do their part is just that--everyone needs to do their part, and you have no control over that. 

(and are there worse things than getting pelted with questions while you are trying to manage the backend stuff before a live audience? Of course. But in the moment, it sucks.)

Hubby took the kids to Costco, then we washed the dog and all the dog's stuff.  Vacuumed. The dog nearly killed me on the walk after a couple of times.  No luck yet on rehoming her. She's a sweet girl, but she needs more than we can give her. I'm hoping we have better luck soon. 

Sunday I took her for a two hour, 3 1/2 hour walk. Wore her right out. I can't do that every day, but it gives me an idea of what she needs, because she is getting stronger and fitter every day. She needs to hunt. She needs to run (and she got off the leash with hubby the other night--we know now that she is fast). And she really can't do either where we live.

That's only part of the problem, but it's a significant part of it.

Did more adulting stuff. Took the boys out for a bit. Did more when we got home. Boys changed their beds, did laundry, got ready for the week. 

And now the hard part of getting my own head on straight. 

It's a beautiful day. Might get the dog out for another couple of miles. 




No comments: