Thursday, October 7, 2021

Not Invited

 Had another moment just now; texting a former co-worker, finding out a bunch of them are going to hang out and I wasn't invited.

Context:  just had a job interview I nailed. If I don't get the job, I wasn't meant to. Signed off feeling GOOD. One with the universe and all that. This past week and change was filled with chats and texts with some of my former coworkers who want me to come back and in general, I felt loved.

And elder and I gave a guest lecture in Reading earlier in the week; we had a great day together, topped with younger getting in the car from school, and the two of them chatting, elder asking younger to do character voices (younger could have a future as voice talent). I pulled into  the parking lot where we had appointments, and watched them walk off together, heads close, backpacks on opposing shoulders, bosom buddies in conspiritual conversation.

That gave me pause. I waited a lifetime for each of them to have that ONE GOOD FRIEND, and they had that all along. 

They have D, the friend they share, who fits into their schema.  There is no third wheel. 

Honestly? (looping back to the drinks) I think it hurt more not to be asked than anything. I am choosy about who I want to drink with, anyway, let alone spend hours in conversation with. I can count on one hand how many people outside of my household I am even remotely interested in doing that with.

Still. It's all about being asked.

But, rather than give that power over me, I'll finish reading the memoir that Nic was gifted. The Secret Apartment by Tom Garvey. It's really good. Check it out. 

No comments: