Monday, October 18, 2021

Hauling my broken self along

 So, a couple more things happened the last little while....

Had a job interview I utterly slayed. Completely.  Even if I don't get it, I don't care.  I rocked the interview. And everyone on the call knows I did.

Younger had his senior recognition....day.  Our stadium has reopened post Ida, but daylight use only, so senior recognition night turned into day. It's ok. He looks utterly badass on his banner. 

Elder is finally finding his groove.  COVD set him back, but two of his three jobs are back online. He graduates from community college this December. We're still figuring out next steps. We'll get there. Maybe when he's 30. Or 40.

The FOO remains on hiatus. I removed Facebook from my phone because I just need to NOT right now. If the narrative is that I'm sick, let's just leave it there. I know I've not been this well in like, my whole life. Like, ever. Not that I don't mourn--I do. Daily. Sometimes hourly.  But I need to choose wellness because my kids depend on it. But old habits die hard.

And....there's always the drive to get the last word.  I see one keep driving home how wonderful her child is and there's an itemized list. I think I've seen this list before, and it turns out, that list was published a week earlier. You know, just in case anyone missed it. I try my best to suppress my urges to blare from the mountaintops all the hardships my kids have faced, but I know no one cares, and I know what they've been living, and so does God, so that's enough for me. 

And I alternate between heady elation and absolute despair. I see elder's peers  speeding past him into their futures. I see younger's fearless badassery and wish his lot in life were better. But I see the two of them with their heads together, and I know they have something I never had growing up--they have each other. They have each other's backs. They are fiercely loyal to one another.  This was something hubby and I built without meaning to, but I'm glad we did. 

They have each other. 

At least we did that much. 

No comments: