Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Owls

 One thing I love about this time of year is hearing the call of the Northern Great Horned Owl.

It doesn't happen often, but when I am awake in the middle of the night, I can sometimes hear two of them calling to one another. This morning, very very early, they did not disappoint.

At first I thought I was imagining it--wishful thinking, I wanted to hear them, so I heard them. I listened more carefully, weeding out the ambient noise, and sure enough, the owls were exactly what I heard.

I lay there listening--they flew in closer, calling to one another. I could swear one was in the yew tree right outside my window. 

And no matter what I am feeling in my heart at the time, the call of the owl brings peace.

I fell back asleep listening to the owls.

And smiling. 

No comments: