Monday, March 7, 2011

Offense intended?

I have long since gotten over assuming anything has anything to do with my son's autism. Well, either boy's autism, really, but I am thinking about Nic.

Capsule summary: Nic wanted to be stage crew in the upcoming talent show. I made all the prerequisite calls, had a few encouraging phone conversations and emails, penciled dates on the calendar, yet.....

I knew it wasn't going to happen. And there are a lot of moving parts involved, but I knew when the other mom used the word 'inclusion' that she knew my kid has issues. And that 'something' would prevent his participation.

The other shoe fell this morning, although I didn't hear it until this afternoon when I opened my email after I got in from work.

In my experience, the longer and more ornate the explanation, the greater the guilt involved. And this one was an intricately carved Swiss clock of an email.

My response was short and sweet: I appreciate your email, and my son will have plenty of opportunity to participate in stage crew in middle school.

Honestly? I've been doing this long enough to know what battles are worth fighting. This is not one of them. I'm actually grateful for the evening and afternoon I get back as a result.

If he's denied the opportunity in middle school, however, they may as well invite the wrath of God.

But for now, I am content to take the explanation--however ornate--and call it a day.

In other news, Nic placed second twice and first once in the three heats he swam yesterday. G and I had a great time tussling and playing 'keep away' while we waited for Nic to swim. Nic, meanwhile, had a great time chatting with his coaches and teammates--actually, this is the most social I've seen him at a meet. It was great to see and watch.

So, for all that, the great times we had skiing, track coming up, more swim meets, does the talent show really matter?

Nah.

No comments: