Monday, November 22, 2010

Rethinking Systems Change

I am convinced now that systemic change has to happen with the children. Because their parents are idiots. Ignoramuses. Intractable, prejudiced PITAs.

Without turning this into a multithousand word screed, I had a Eureka moment at about 7 pm last night. I already mentioned that I said goodbye to my soccer team--truly an awesome and amazing bunch of little boys. But by and large, their parents did not impress me. Which is a shame, because in another 2-3 years, they will be just like their parents--their attitudes will be hardened and fixed.

So I had the committee meeting for the neighborhood association at B's house yesterday. Which would have been okay if I hadn't been treated to how much time all the kids spend hanging out together.

That's right. You know my kid is not invited to hang out with their kids. One mom, when I told her Nic's name, said, "Oh, I've heard of him."

I gave her a wan smile and said, "That's right, he is sort of famous."

No response.

I couldn't wait to get the f*ck out of there.

So I came back home from the meeting, pick up the boys and we all went out for a couple hours (nothing big, just checking out a new store, elevator adventures, etc) and I broke down a couple times talking to hubby about the meeting, and really, it's not so much that he is excluded, and talked about, and people STILL don't freaking get it, it's just that in my heart of hearts, I KNOW he is not really ready to go over some one's house and hang out because he is notorious for making extremely bad choices in face of the fact that he clearly knows better.

Hubby wants me to stop volunteering. I tried to explain to him this am is that reaching kids is really my best shot at systems change in our community.

Because the adults just. Don't. Want. To. Hear. It.

No comments: