Tuesday, June 8, 2010

That was weird

I was just reviewing a training module for work, and all of the sudden, it was 21 years ago and I was working at the Savings & Loan down in S Jersey.

My mind took one skip--my friend K; a second skip, the bags of hand-me-overs--nice clothes she had no further use for--she used to give me; and that somehow landed me on a windswept boardwalk, talking on the phone with hubby, who was then my beau. And that led me to thinking about my crazy work schedule that summer--all day at the bank, evenings hostessing on the boardwalk at the only sit-down place on the beach, and how that summer was a nice clear sweep of everything that prepared me for grad school--and the rest of my life.

I feel like I am at a very similar moment right now, which is why those images struck me with the odd resonance. There are many differences between then and now, but the feeling of change and possiblity is very much the same.

I think it's a good thing, but I haven't been on that boardwalk--literally OR figuratively--in years.....

No comments: