Sunday, September 27, 2009

To the Wall

I have way too much on my plate at the moment, but I need a break. I'm thankful for the work, but I hate that it's feast or famine. I am officially gorged. :P

School seems to have stabilized, although I already have an IEP meeting for G happening this week. Back to school night was uneventful. Both kids are settling into the routine of school and the big bus. Nic's new interests in golf and Wii are netting him more people to talk to who are interested in the same things. G is reading to his classmates. Or reciting, since he's not really reading (as Nic was).

We managed to convince both boys to go to the carnival, and Nic had his first-ever Ferris wheel ride (he asked me if my first ride happened before or after my dad died--and as it happened, it was a few hours before, at my own carnival, and of course I didn't realize that was happening until later--interesting what Nic picks up on, and what he chooses to remember).

The big source of fun however was not the rides, but the dunk tank. The school principal, dressed for work in a button-down shirt, slacks and tie, took the first shift. And both my boys managed to knock him into the tank.

They'll be talking about that for weeks.

Cool thing, Fr M was there, and Nic went over and said hello to him, unprompted. I told Fr M after mass today that Nic doesn't ordinarily do that, and that I was pleased that he took the initiative. It was awesome to hang out with him for a little while, and the boys had a wonderful time bonding with the other kids over the fun.

A great time. But what would have totally made it? If they had friends to hang out with on their own. I went to my own carnival with other kids at about Nic's age. I saw plenty of kids running around in packs from ride to ride (love wristband action), and I couldn't help feeling a little sorry for the boys, stuck as it were with mom and dad. On the upside, they didn't seem to notice or care--this is what we do, and how we do it, and they are fine with it.

Not quite there. But maybe next year we'll remember to call B up and invite him along.

No comments: