Sunday, October 19, 2008

From the "You Can't Possibly be Serious" File

Okay, we just got back from the orchard. And I have to say, I am just.....gobsmacked.

Yes, we met up with friends, but as it happens, we spent more time with the 'bad' than the good. In a way, it worked out, because our good friends were having a day where they both just wanted mom and no one else. I can respect that.

However, I would have been happier had we done this outing alone. Dear son was a whining, complaining pain in the butt from start to finish. My sons actually were amazingly flexible in accommodating him--but the downside to that was that we were at their whim and mercy. And to that end, we were following them around.

We were out of the big corn maze in near record time. If I had a brain in my head, we would have gone separate ways. But no, we hung in. It wasn't awful, but I could tell my kids were not happy. And as we were waiting in line for ice cream, she actually said to me, "you know, I can take [dear son] more places than most kids with disabilities."

While she was saying this, dear son was deliberately upsetting Nic. I wordlessly moved Nic to my other side. I couldn't get our ice cream fast enough.

They left shortly thereafter, but not before mom made a parting shot about my kids.

That left my jaw on the ground. My kids were absolutely gracious about having dear son upend their outing. I furiously dialed my buddy, who was on the other side of the farm.

And our last hour was wonderful. The kids played well together, moms bonded, and life was good.

We came home, my kids attempted to play with the neighborhood kids. Points for trying.

No comments: