Thursday, October 23, 2008

Best Time Starting Now?

I'm a strong believer in the idea of a door closing, and a window opening in its place.

When one door banged unceremoniously shut earlier this month (I knew the slam was coming, anyway), that gave me ample pause. What now, what next, what will become of us? I love freelancing for the freedom it gives me; I dislike it for its uncertainty, although I have to say I always seem to make my minimum required monthly nut.

Sometimes it is VERY minimum. But it's better than nothing, so I will take it.

Anyway, stuff going away has allowed other stuff to come into its place. Granted, it's unpaid stuff, but a lot of it is reimbursable, great experience and training, and doing what I love, which is working with children and families to help connect them to services, activities, resources, and whatever support they need.

My time at the conference was invaluable for the networking--even though I didn't accomplish what I INTENDED to, I definitely accomplished what I NEEDED to. Things are happening because I was there, talking to the right people, getting the right stuff moving in a positive direction.

My best time spent was with my co-presenter, introducing her to the local winery. She had no idea it was there, and she told me before we parted that this was the best part of her trip (best part of mine too, I picked up some good wine!)

My boys were happy to see me, and I've been cleaning up the 'bachelor pad' ahead of my second departure to Pittsburgh for an overnight training tomorrow. Gabe and I spent a good morning bonding; we will go with Nic's Scout pack to the hayride tonight, then I will leave tomorrow before first light (again).

But I'll be back Saturday.

And in the space of my being gone, two more opportunities presented themselves. I have to make some decisions about how my time will be spent. But there is some very good stuff happening here.

I keep saying stuff. Well, it is.

But it's GOOD stuff......

No comments: