Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Momniscience

God couldn't be everywhere, which is why he invented moms, said some one.

Moms can't be everywhere either, but we try.

Part of the reason I have volunteered for class mom duties was because I want to see what goes on in the classroom--the better to guide and instruct as needed, right?

Yesterday's Valentine's party went mostly okay. Something happened though a few minutes toward the end of the party. Nic was in the back of the room looking for a book and a bunch of boys were around him. They saw me coming over and scattered.

Nic seemed to me to be upset—his face was flushed and his eyes looked watery.

"What's going on, Nic?"

"I was getting a book," he answered averting his eyes.

I asked him if he was okay, and he said he was. "No one's bothering me, mom."

I didn't ask him that question. That he answered that question speaks volumes. He pushed past me to his seat.

I can't be everywhere. But where I can be, I make it count.

Be warned, boys.

At the end of this, I will not look to get a one-on-one aide for Nic.

He will be much better served by a bodyguard.

Game on.

No comments: