Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Bird and the Bus Stop

It all started at 8:30 yesterday morning with an email from hubby; the subject line read 'your son.'

As the bus is pulling away, G, seated next to a window, flashes a big grin at me and flips me his ring finger. My jaw hits the floor. All the Moms think it's hilarious.

Apparently, not really, but I get ahead of my story.

The laughter that little incident provoked was inspiring enough to produce two encores at school.

I sat G down last night. "Why?"

He giggled. "It was funny. It made people laugh."

I instructed him to look at my face and note that I wasn't smiling. "They might laugh," I replied, "but when they tell their moms and dads what you did, they will not be allowed to talk to you, let alone play with you."

His eyes got big.

"Parents don't let their kids play with other kids who do things like that--is that what you want?"

"No," he answered quietly.

"Funny or friends, G, which will it be?"

"Friends, mom. I promise I won't do it again."

So on the way to the bus stop this morning, I asked him again: "Funny or friends?"

"Friends, mom. I promise I won't do it again."

The cold shoulder we received at the bus stop didn't surprise me; regardless of how 'hilarious' the other parents thought his little stunt was yesterday, we literally had everyone's back today.

I guess some days are like that.

1 comment:

Kimmber said...

If that was their reasoning, the suck! I'm sorry you both got the cold shoulder today, it hurts no matter what the reasoning.