Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Waters of March

The stormy, windy weather outside woke me up before first light this am. And the first thing I thought about was how I read Toni Morrison's Beloved in grad school and some of the conversations I had with Colleen, a recently reconnected-with friend and at the time relatively new mom. And then I thought it's time for me to re-read it because I don't think I had the emotional wherewithal to truly "get it" the first time.

I dropped her a note to that effect this am, and she quickly responded that I needed to.

I've started reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" and can't help thinking it's all connected in some way.

And in another tangent, I found myself thinking about the phrase 'dreaming true' that kept coming up in the book Neverland. I think the writer had a hard time wrapping his head around what that phrase means, because I had an immediate emotional reaction to that phrase, but I found his definitions rather clumsy and unsatisfying.

I recognize it because I do it, but I couldn't tell you the *how*, only that I *do*.

Other thoughts. Signed the boys up for another go-round of township swim lessons and had two different people tell me they were glad I brought the boys back.

Nic had his first competitive swim meet last Sunday and won all three heats.

The work situation is interesting. I really like what I do, but if I were to remain on, I'd be doing something else. Which is fine. I really like the general vibe of the place and they actually WALK the family friendly walk, so if that's the way it were to go, I think it's a good thing.

I just find it interesting where this is going. I couldn't have planned any of this. I am simply not that smart.

But I can dream true. Somehow, I think that's more important than being smart.

No comments: