Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Really?

Intense last few weeks, but I'll sum up quickly. Major life-changing event I am still processing--not for me, but I bore witness. High school reunion was amazing; I never had that many people talk to me when I was in high school, yet I had a few dozen people stop me and tell me how much they loved my writing and my attitude. When my old nemesis told me another wasn't coming 'because she had a hard time in high school,' I put my hand on my hip and retorted, 'who DIDN'T have a hard time in high school?'

Some one who knew me well stood a few feet away and said,'and if Liz could come back here, no one else has an excuse.'

Cool moment, that.

Meanwhile, in another part of the forest, hubby took the kids to my friend's son's birthday party. I had been stopped a few weeks earlier and was told to expect an invitation to another party that never materialized. Frankly, I forgot about it until I listened to my voice mail the next day.

To wit, the person called two hours before her party was set to start telling me that my kids *could* come (loved the word choice) and with details as to when (less than 2 hours later) and where the party would be.

I'm listening to the message and sputtering in amazement while hubby is cleaning the downstairs bathroom. I disconnect and stand in the doorway.

"REALLY?" I demanded. "Do ya THINK we're that desperate and waiting for an invite that we are sitting by the phone ready to jump on anything that comes along? REALLY?"

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around that one. How nice my kids had a party to go to anyway, but that this person would think that I would put our lives on hold to wait to tell me that MY kids could come to her kid's party?

Hubby told me not to respond, and if she asks (she won't) next week, he'll just tell her the truth--we accepted an invite to another party. I'm sure she'd be floored. Expectations of friendship for my kids are not high in this part of the forest.

It was very clear from her message that she had refusals, and my kids were asked because there was now space for them. I guess I wouldn't have minded so much if she hadn't made the invite, defacto withdrew it (since I never received the promised invitation), and then called me at the last possible minute telling me I *can* bring my kids.

Really? No, thanks.

No comments: