Monday, December 14, 2009

Mercy and Second Chances

I just heard that Nic successfully handled another bus situation this morning. The kid has truly learned to fight some of his own battles.

That used to be a big phrase when I was growing up: "Fight your own battles." That was usually said when reinforcements were brought in, and I needed all the help I could get.

I realized while having breakfast with a good friend this morning what a huge, huge deficit I ran my entire life without my father around to coach me. I am here, and I can coach Nic, because I understand the unique challenges he faces.

My dad understood the challenges I would face, but he also knew he wouldn't be around to coach me.

Thirty-five years and change later, I get it.

In other news, I've had a little holiday cheer and mercy come my way. I know mercy when I see it, and I promise to try to deserve it.

I have my marching order, and now to get it done.

No comments: