Sunday, November 28, 2021

Hiking Redux

 Had to drop elder off at work, and then needed to walk some things off (me and my big feelings). I found myself back at the park where I used to take the kids when they were small. Lots of memories here: Nic's class party in K, G looking up at a deer head on the wall and asking "What happened?" (to the rest of the deer). Numerous class trips through elementary school with both. Cub scouts--oh lordy, the campfires, the s'mores, the retired flags that came to their appropriate end. Dozens and dozens of trips of just us, up to the meadow to see "Dinkey," over to Creepy Pond and the spring house to count koi and turtles, over to the bird blind to see what was visiting the feeder, and of course over the Runaway Bridge to see if we saw any fish in the stream. 

Remembering how much easier it was to get the kids outside and sell them on a hike in the woods back in the day. 

Oh my.

Walking in the late fall sun, watching the colors, birds flying and feeding where they could find food, running into a guy who looked like Santa Claus, I thought I was clear of the big feelings until they caught up with me heading over to the pond. 

Thinking of the woman I took communion to today and wondering how I can help.

Still wondering how I can fix things I didn't break but feel responsible for.

Wrapping up my current sitch and looking forward.

The feelings are still too big but a little less daunting.

Deep breaths.

One step at a time. 



No comments: