Saturday, August 7, 2021

We Went to a Garden Party...

I'm good about ranting and raving about the stuff that goes sideways, so I should be equally good about reporting the good stuff.  And this thing I've been sitting with goes to the good....

So, we were invited to a graduation party in the neighborhood.

That in it of itself is a singular event.

So, being thus, we accepted, with great angst on my part. Last time we had this happen, three years ago, it was a painful experience for my entire family. We accepted because, well, one does (and hubby said so); we left early-ish because I had gotten so wrapped up with chatting with the hired help that I didn't notice that elder was having a rough time.

It was fine; we wrapped up the kids, ordered them pizza, and took a sunset ride in the date car (because any time with the top down is a good way to blow off whatever is weighing you down).

So I look askance at this invite, but consider the advantages:  it's literally next door and we can up and go easily if it's not working for any of us.

I accept.  The kids are (amazingly enough) looking forward to it.  They both shower and dress, then look at the clock and out the window, noting that people are starting to show up.  Dad's not home yet, but that's fine, he can join us when he can.

We show up. I quickly assess that this is not an unfriendly crowd.  The honoree actually greets my guys with a hug. I'm asked about the dog and pull up pictures of her on my phone. The kids stake out the food table and set themselves up. I join them at a table they've selected, me on one side, they on the other.

It's a round table, and we have it to ourselves. At one point, I tell the kids that they are free to bail once their dad shows up.

But then something amazing happens. Neighbors we hadn't talked to in a long time sat down with us and started chatting with the boys. Our elderly neighbor across the street sat down with us when they left, and yet another pair of neighbors joined us at our table.

The boys stuck around a chatted for a while, then both went off to mingle. G sat by the music, occasionally calling out to the hosts that they had great musical taste and asked them to share their playlist with him. N regaled everyone with his bingo stories. And they hung out, pretty much talking to everyone. 

It was a lovely evening in every sense of the word. 

And the boys left when I left. 

I feel like we are slowly inching forward.

No comments: