Monday, March 29, 2021

Younger the Conqueror

 About four years ago, right about now, we were deep into prepping Elder for his first job interview.

A year previously, it was all about getting him a volunteer gig; no less prepping went into that.  We wrote and re-wrote lots of scripts; did dry runs; I recruited every professional adult I knew to help drill him on how to give good interview.

(He's a master now; so many turns on the cupcake have made him a pro)

The reason I bring this up: Younger began making noises recently about needing a job. I happened to note that a local pizzeria was hiring. I mentioned it to him. He dressed up in a dress shirt, slacks, and dress shoes and walked over to check it out. He told me he left his number and they'd call him.

I told him that's good, and inwardly shrugged.  Another local pizzeria had said the same thing to his brother, and he never heard from them again. 

Imagine my surprise when they called him. And imagine my surprise that it turned into a regular gig. He doesn't have many hours (yet), but he comes home each shift in a very good mood. 

He did it himself. 

And they took a chance on him. 

I'm pretty psyched. 

No comments: