Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Friendship Arc

In the space of 10 days, an interesting picture has developed.

B and his brother came to the pool with us last Monday (the 21st). I was elated and happy that everyone had a good time. Until B's mom called and informed me that Nic had dumped mud in their brand new inflatable pool. I guess that was the beginning of the end.

B came alone with us on Thursday. That went okay. But more miscues between me and his folks.

I emailed his mom yesterday letting her know our pool schedule for this week, and when we stopped by on our way to the pool (they are literally right on the way), B answered the door, told us he'd ask his mom, came back, said he was busy, and went back in and slammed the door shut.

Well. I'm not going to chase this. Chances are better than not since they have their own pool up that they (B and his brother) won't be coming to the pool with us again. I moped about it yesterday until I noticed that Nic was hanging out with a kid, turns out he knows Nic from school, is a year ahead of him, and likes to hang out with him. I have to say, Nic's really widened his circle here, for better or for worse. I did invite B for an overnight this weekend, but something tells me that's not going to happen. Maybe I should be bummed?

Oddly, I'm not. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I refuse to glom onto any ONE thing for Nic's social 'salvation.' Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we are really busy ANYWAY? I dunno. Nic doesn't seem particularly perturbed, and maybe that's why I'm not, either.

And right now I have three deadlines for noon Friday holding a gun to my head so I'll dwell on this at greater length when I can breathe.....

No comments: