Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Reflections on People Past

I don't spend a whole lot of time dwelling on the past anymore. Most of my time is spent between the here and now and planning for my kids' futures. The here and now is mundane: bill paying, who we are going to hang out with today, what we'll do, how I'll fit in my work around Nic's rantings.

Every so often my thoughts turn to people I've left behind. In particular, I think of a vicious little PR campaign that happened over months that I knew nothing about until it was far, far too late.

I wonder about a person who seemed unhealthily obsessed with a friendship I had with a mutual acquaintance. And I am equally flummoxed at how fragile that relationship ultimately proved to be.

I wonder how people who have outed themselves as liars repeatedly are trusted implicitly regardless of their repeated transgressions.

I wonder about justice, and I wonder if the lack of it is actually a judgment against me, despite my own innocence.

I look at these events and know they happened for my greater good. But I wonder at the silence of the dozen or so bystanders. Does that mean they approved what happened, or does it mean they just don't want to get involved?

Understand, I have lost no sleep over this. But I do wonder sometimes.