Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Iron Nic

I have a hard time knowing whether Nic is being canny or clueless, because his cluelessness veers crazily toward genius when it comes to dealing with people.

He gets off the bus announcing he told everyone he wouldn't be in on Friday because he's having a slumber party. I emailed his teacher and told her that yes, Nic will be in--out of town guests are coming, but they aren't due until Friday PM. She promptly emailed me back and thanked me for the clarification.

So okay, he's decided he's more or less ODed on Bob the Builder (thank goodness). He spent a lot of yesterday afternoon working on building a track with the gear a friend clearing out toys gave him. After Gabe came in from ESY, they worked on it together.

So he sees the twins plus their cousin outside. He runs out, hops on his scooter and takes off after them. G wants to go out, too. So we get him together, go out, and Nic is yelling his head off, chasing the other three kids on their bikes.

It becomes obvious they are trying to ditch him, but I hang back. They go around the block, and Nic follows. I realize that it's better than okay for him to go--he knows the neighborhood, and he's with the other three, if not behind them. (And I realize that though the twins are nearly 10, THEY only stay on this block, so this is a first for everyone).

Girl twin comes by and asks where Nic is. I told her that he was following her and the boys. She looked embarrassed. Then I see Nic coming up the block.

A few altercations ensue. Twice I took Nic by the hand and informed him loudly that B & D DON'T want to play with him, take a hint. And twice, I'll be damned, didn't he march right back and insert himself in the proceedings?

I sat back, realizing I was actually doing more harm then good. The boys weren't chasing him off, and the younger one kept glancing my way. I wasn't about to drag him kicking and screaming away, so I just decided to let it play out.

But it was hard. You can't make anyone like your kid. Nic is inherently likable when he's not being obnoxious. The only way for him to learn in these situations is to DO--right or wrong, this is the school of hard knocks.

So Perky and the kids come out, on their way to another social event. Nic admonishes the son for waving a stick in Nic's face. Perky comes out. And Nic starts pelting her with details about the sleepover he's having, followed by the barbecue on Saturday, and she's trying to drive off, and not be rude, conscious of the fact I'm sitting there.

And I wonder to myself, how much of this is "Nyah, nyah, YOU'RE not invited?"

Gabe and I go back in so I can make dinner. Then I hear the door knocker. Nic has summoned me.

"MOM" he shouted (despite the fact that I am less than five feet from him) "D JUST CALLED ME THE MOST AWFUL NAME!"

"Did not!" D shouts back from across the street.

(and I smother a laugh and a smile thinking this is so 1970s Revere Street)

"What did he call you, Nic?"

"BUTTHEAD! It's a horrible, horrible thing to call some one!" And with that he hops on his scooter and heads back across the street for more abuse.

"While it's not the nicest thing to say, there are certainly worse things he could have called you," I yelled after him. I closed the door, thinking he'd figure it out.

He played with them until they left. Or near them.

He may be easily upset, but this kid is, underneath it all, made of iron.

No comments: