Sunday, November 24, 2019

Letter Man

So this happened last night.


My younger, a high school sophomore, earned his Varsity letter for marching band.  Elder earned his for bowling a year and half ago--and there's still a chance this guy could earn a second letter for bowling, as well. 

Hubby scoffs--letters weren't a thing in high school for him, and that wasn't his speed. Truth be told, it wasn't mine, either. As Elder would be quick to tell you, I was never national-anything.  He, meanwhile, ran nationals for cross country 6 years ago (but let's be clear--that wouldn't have happened if I didn't drive it).

But this is different. This is not mom driving a damn thing except making sure my kids get the same opportunities their peers get. I wish it were as easy as them "just signing up."

Back in the dark ages (5 years ago), when Elder was a freshman who made the bowling team, we had behaviors. We had willful. We had "there's no support for after school." Give credit where credit is due--I coached the coach on coaching elder. He made it through freshman year bowling. And then he did the next three years on his own. 

He earned that letter. 

My boys are close enough in age to be friends, and being friends, they are also competitive.  G entered marching band as a thing do do last year, and then was interested enough in getting his letter to make another go of it this year. 

And he's joined indoor percussion to give him a chance to learn other instruments--the thought being that he can graduate to mallets next year.

I'm not going to bet the farm on section leader. But I'd love to walk with him on senior recognition night.

Goals.

So big deal. Who cares about the letter?  The truth is that I do. Because a letter for either kid was not in either of their plans.

And yet--here we are. 

I can't wait to see what boundaries they break next. 

No comments: