Tuesday, July 13, 2021

You can do hard things

 My mantra lately. Elder's, too. 

He's done complaining how I make him do things, which is a step in the right direction. I feel him. Lately I feel like I have to do a lot of things I'd rather not do, too. I do find a lot of things hard, at least getting started, anyway. 

But once I'm going, I'm good. 

Starting over (again) is hard, but I am a little more accepting of the status quo than I've been. I'm lucky. I can work. I need to tell the negative committee in my head to sit down and shut up. But they've been there forever, and they are a rowdy bunch, especially when I begin to doubt myself. Man, the crowd does go wild.....

I don't think it's an accident that I'm beginning again as my older guy is beginning, too. Actually, his time at community college is coming to an end, and we need to figure out what he's going to do next.  Is he going to transfer?  Is he going to try to get a full time gig?

"I'm frozen with indecision, mom," is often his rejoinder. 

But we need to start figuring this stuff out. He's plugging along with his summer classes, and I am plugging along with my self-study. My friends cheer me on, sending me texts and calling from time to time to check on me. 

Twenty-five years ago, I was in a similar place. I had waited for the doors to open again, and doors did open--but not the ones I had expected.  And it all worked out. I made new friends and learned new things. 

And I'm not too old to do it again. 

And in so doing, maybe I can help Elder find his way forward....

No comments: