Tuesday, September 24, 2019

And One for My Baby




So G engaged me in this long diatribey description of a Gumby episode on the way to CFF yesterday. As usual, he is sounding like a wikipedia entry (likely he memorized it). I asked him all kinds of questions right up to, "Well, how does it end?"

He sort of looked at me and said "I never watched the episode. I thought you watched this all the time when you were little.  Why don't you know?"

I struggle to reach this one. I'm literally stewing over it for hours after we've had the conversation. Out with hubby, who is trying to discern my quiet, into the city in the date car, looking for parking, then looking for sustenance (and finding it), then off to see King Crimson. Mulling, stewing, wracking my brains.  Finally, I figured it out (during the concert, because the concert jarred a lot of things loose....) that he was referring to a post on the family Facebook page. One of my sisters found a Gumby meme and tagged me, and so he appropriated this as a means to connect with me.

OH.  OH.  (and why on earth can't he just ask me these things directly?  Because he's G, and that's not the way his head and heart are wired)

SO, this am, over waffles and coffee, I asked him about what he was telling me yesterday, was the whole thing because of the FB post?

And his eyes lit up in the way they do when someone gets him. 

So I explained about the Gumby figure I had when I was about 3, how I carried it everywhere with me (like his Alfie) and lost it (like his Alfie) and the tantrums I threw over its disappearance were epic. He bore with Alfie's loss with infinitely more grace, but he asked after him forever after.  I didn't have a real great love for those shorts, but hey, do you want to know what I really liked?

And his eyes lit up.

And I told him I'd make him a list of all the things I liked/was obsessed with when I was young for him. 

And his eyes lit up even more, if possible. 

So I started a list and left it on the dining room table. I was obsessed at different times with lots of things, but I'm sure all the things I was obsessed with are finadable on YouTube. I might even take a picture and post it later. It's not an exhaustive list, but it gives a good idea of where my head was 40 something years ago. 

And my head is now where it always is, trying to find ways to connect to my baby, because he is the hardest thing in the world for me to find, and every time I think I've got him, he loses me again.

And my heart finds new ways to crack.

No comments: