Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Going National

"Who cares? He's never won anything in his life."~Dylan, Akeela and the Bee

So my older son's newest obsession is Louisville, KY. His elevator friend mentioned it as a destination over the summer (dad cautioning that there's really not much else there). It might have stayed an object of discussion if the CYO National Cross Country Champs weren't held there.

Boom. Set as destination.

Not so fast.  Mostly because elder son is not so fast.  He does not love running, so getting him out during the week is a heroic task, made entertaining by his shouting "I hate you, mom!" while we're out running.

Seriously, he will love me someday for this if he doesn't end up in therapy.

I read through the qualifications, and didn't think he'd be able to make the cut. Apparently, I didn't read them closely enough, because he can qualify as part of a team, and as long as he is part of a team and commits to running, he is going.

I am elated.  Elder boy, not so much. He was expecting a free ride to Louisville. Nevertheless, he will go. He will run. He will do his best.

"Why do you care, you've never won anything!" he growled after his slow showing on Sunday (no running and a soft pretzel and a half pre race bogged him down--he won't do that again).

I laughed inwardly,  because he's right.  As a senior in high school, I traveled to Nationals with my Forensic team as a considered right because I helped, in some way, the rest of the team get there. And I could not on my own.  And I look back on that experience with a chuckle, because there was little for me to do but have a good time and cheer on my teammates. No pressure. And I paid my way in other ways, so I figured this was my due.

But he's right. I never had this opportunity to be national anything. On the other hand, he does.  And he may never get this opportunity again.

Opportunity knocks. I'll make sure he answers the door.

Winning matters not. It's all about the journey.

No comments: