Thursday, September 6, 2007

We've come a long way in two years

We had the semi annual dentist appointment yesterday, wherein we all go en familie to get our teeth checked, cleaned etc.

Two years ago, Nic needed restraints to get the cleaning done (and two teeth pulled). I hated to do it, but the only other choice was anesthetizing him, which I refused to do. We got it done, but with no shortage of screaming, yelling and general mayhem.

A year ago, we didn't need the restraints, but Nic needed to be in my lap. And he did a fair share of yelling from the chair, but at least this time we didn't need to be in a closed room significantly apart from the other patients.

This year? He went to the chair on his own. I was getting my own teeth checked and cleaned a few chairs down and could hear Nic chatting with the hygenist between getting his mouth checked and teeth cleaned. When he was done, he came down to my chair to get his brother and shepherd him over to get his teeth checked and cleaned. (and Gabriel was fine, too).

I never would have imagined that we could actually go to the dentist and have it be a somewhat 'normal' experience. For as far as we have to go, I can't believe how far we've already come.

No comments: