Thursday, March 30, 2017

Food is Fuel and Other Random Thoughts

I'm a foodie, and I cannot lie. I enjoy it, I savor it, it's a total sensory experience.

Food is also a fraught thing. I know I'm not alone in using it as a pacifier, a band-aid, or relating it to all I've ever loved and lost.  It's a handy drug, needing no script.

The upside is also the downside. The more you consume, the more you need, the more you fall apart.

Despite my own doctor's admonishments, I kept on keeping on. I'd think about making any necessary changes to my life and eating habits tomorrow.

Until the scale started hitting alarming numbers, even to me.

So on January 1, I undertook the following project. Mindfulness. Watching what I ate. Making sure I hit the gym at least 3 times a week. Making sure I walk 10-13 thousand steps a day. Making sure I remember to breathe. The stakes are actually fairly high, putting aside the thought I need to live until I'm 150, anyway. I'm trying to manage 3, or 4, or 5 medical conditions on diet and exercise alone.

Here's the update on how that's working out for me:
  • Down almost 20 lbs
  • Wine and beer consumption down 61% (I did the math twice)
  • Improved strength and mobility
It would be really nice to get down another 10 lbs, but I'm feeling good, and happy (or at least as happy as I can be),

It's not a diet, it's a complete change to the way I approach food and exercise.  For me, there's no separation of how I feel physically from how I feel mentally and emotionally. The problems haven't changed, but my ability to deal with them has, for the better. 

Other subtle changes that have coursed from this are more real-time, in-person interactions, more time spent out in nature (enjoyed stopping with my younger one last night at dusk to admire the colors of the sky and the song of the spring peepers), and generally a more spiritual awareness of how my attitudes and interactions affect other people. 

Bottom line:  think small. Start small. Create one new good habit a day and make sure you consciously make it a part of your life. Great things begin with a single step. 

No comments: